In 1994, on Hawai‘i Island, a new standard in living was created by Hualālai Resort. They promised relaxed island luxury, rich culture and romantic beauty.
Two years later, Four Seasons Resort Hualālai opened their doors and welcomed guests to experience the splendor of Hualālai at historic Ka‘ūpūlehu. Waves of travelers visited and returned, eventually staying to build a community here on this ahupua‘a (land division) by the sea.
Today, Hualālai is an award-winning residential resort community consistently ranked among the top of the world’s best hotels lists. As we celebrate 20 years of success, we look forward to sharing the legacy of this truly Hawaiian destination with new generations of visitors and potential residents and their families and friends.
Memories and Milestones
- 1996: Four Seasons Resort Hualālai and the first Jack Nicklaus Signature course on Hawai‘i Island; first residential property sale
- 1997: First MasterCard Championship is hosted
- 1999: Four Seasons Resort Hualālai receives the first of 18 consecutive AAA Five Diamond Awards; Hualālai Sports Club & Spa named #1 by Travel + Leisure magazine
- 2001: Hualālai Coffee Company opens
- 2002: Hualālai Club Membership Program is introduced
- 2002: First nine holes of the “Weiskopf Course” (now Ke‘olu) unveiled; Hualālai Canoe Club opens
- 2003: Residents form the Hualālai ‘Ohana Foundation
- 2004: Ke‘olu Member-only Golf Course is completed
- 2006: Ke‘olu Member-only Clubhouse opens; Hualālai welcomes new owners Hualālai Investors, LLC and new CEO/President Patrick Fitzgerald
- 2009: Bridge Suites completed; re-imagined Beach Tree Restaurant re-opens
- 2011: Enhanced Palm Tree Grove debuts, with new privacy pool and swim-up bar
- 2015: Re-modeled and expanded comfort stations open on Ke‘olu Golf Course; renovated and expanded Hualālai Trading Company re-opens; two new bocce ball courts replace the sand volleyball court
- 2016: Hualālai Resort has sold 193 villas and 182 lots/homes, nearly 20 years since the first residential sale
Next 20 Years
Hualālai Resort reached a new milestone on September 2016: 20 years of excellence as one of the world’s most acclaimed luxury residential resorts. We look forward to another 20 years of excellence by providing impeccable service with the spirit of aloha.